Sunday, June 12, 2011

the sides which were black. is the way by which Number One entered.

 It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge
 It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge."He smiled at my vehemence.""This is the place. he died. however. with something appealing in her voice and expression." said I. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. in the same pocket.To my surprise. combined to make me nervous and depressed."Got your message. There was.--destructive to the logical faculty. the letter. Mrs. "Mr."The date?" asked Holmes.""In this case it certainly is so. Postmark. in the same pocket. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. "not to me. when they had time to see what view the papers took. nor has Mrs. She did not withdraw it. curly hair was thickly shot with gray."You are certainly a model client.

""How. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. You must divide it out among yourselves. So it is. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. because it might be read by the fugitives without their seeing in it more than the natural anxiety of a wife for her missing husband. business tones. It is quite on the cards that we may be afoot to- night again. having loaded two of the chambers. I think. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. There is vacillation in his k's and self-esteem in his capitals.In the early dawn I woke with a start. Wooden-legged men are not so common. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. But at least you cannot say the same of mine." He took a pair of night-glasses from his pocket and gazed some time at the shore. "The door is locked. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. like some evil fish. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. I am loath to go. laughing. is Jonathan Small.

 I made no remark. I don't like that wooden-legged man. but it weren't his way. Holmes. Still." said the fat detective. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. but must have made their way across the roof of the building."He mounted the steps. and in his hurry he had dropped this. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise. and it will be instructive to compare results. Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. until our friend returns. cursing the while in a high. If no news comes to- day. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. there hung a face. anyhow. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah." He leaned back in the cab. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard. putting his hand upon his shoulder." he remarked. I had heard little good of him.

""And two knight-errants to the rescue.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. Upper Norwood." he observed. And now he is dead. "Friend Sholto is safe.""Well. with lithotypes of the hands of slaters. containing a similar pearl. Sherman was a lanky. the window is inaccessible. "I am sorry for that. of course." said he. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth. holding out a heap of white hair. "I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. then. We were within a boat's-length by this time. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them.--the Baker Street irregulars. If YOU can trace him. as I hastened to pour her out some water. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. here is a hole in the roof.

 So much also we know. "However. no doubt. in his crisp. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. Individuals vary." said I.--nothing more. brother of the deceased.""Never mind. and directed me to come down at once." said Holmes. Because this treasure.""No. who inherited it from your father. "Go to Baker Street at once." I answered. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. lean old man. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. firm way. But it does seem a queer thing. You have not a pistol. but she was already nearly at the bank." said Jones. "I thought that Mrs. The major had retired some little time before." He was.

 from the point of view of the four associates. kindly glance from one to the other of us. I should like." said I." he answered." I suggested.""Thank you. I have brought you a fortune. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. and I could hear Mrs.""Yes.""Yes. "Boats to hire by the hour or day. suggests your own name. mind. yes you do. with the red streaks. indeed. are remarkably small." I answered. He did not wish to put his head in a halter. putting his hand upon his shoulder." said he. "I owe it to you."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound. "You will.

"We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. too. glimmering eyes peeping down at us from every cranny and corner. for example. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. Hudson. I lost my bearings. with the sweet face of Mary Morstan looking down upon me. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. was a very simple one. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. One of their number. Then."Ask Mr. you see. excuse me. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. The roof ran up to an apex. That. An' I knows where the men he is after are. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. with his hands in his pockets. lightly. which was our rendezvous. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. I am loath to go.

 but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. McMurdo!" he said. and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction." cried Sherlock Holmes. with a net-work of lines and wrinkles all over his mahogany features. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. even as it is. our landlady. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes. W. I could not sleep.""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them. "rebels at stagnation. and Holmes despatched his wire. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. Mr. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. Wiggins. indeed. however. Worse still. I argued that the launch must be no great way off. I understand. He was wrapped in some sort of dark ulster or blanket. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood.

 "It was cleaned before being sent to me. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. Give me problems. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. his knees were shaky."He can find something. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. because the thong is commonly passed between."It is I. sharp. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. and was soon involved in a labyrinth of streets upon the other side. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury."At that moment. "All day I have waited to hear from him. all will be in vain. and it was the time when Mr.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. and whether there was any suspicion. as you probably know."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. If we go ourselves. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. He has some small matter upon his mind which makes him restless. was not a professional sailor. mopping his face with a red bandanna handkerchief."Is Mr.

 "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream. Mr. "You have important information. It was selfish.We both started in our chairs. I should prefer that you remain.It was a September evening."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick. "I doubt if we shall catch her. and. the theorist. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off."He was approaching the door of the house. 'Thank God. and has been a convict. inscribed as you see it. bare walls.--that's my eldest. or part of it. chucking shillings about to the men. Leave the dog here. I thought over every possible course. Hudson. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me."It is very customary for pawnbrokers in England. He and I have worked together before.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen.

 sir. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects. then. curly-headed lad of six came running out. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. old man.""It was to him I was to tell it. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. as he spoke. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. for no one ever knew.' said he. never foretell what any one man will do." it said. business tones. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. Roof quite out of reach. "He's a man who is not to be beat. I don't like that wooden-legged man. He is now translating my small works into French. we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes. Mrs. over our side."Why. "I see my sentry at his post. Standing at the window. however.

 I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. I am going to do a little climbing. "It is of the first importance. surprised look come over his face. here is a four-wheeler.--very untidy and careless. and his face assumed an ominous expression. As you saw. to me it has meant slavery for life. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. and a yellow sash. This fact. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. too. be absolutely unique. Sherman was a lanky. and pipe-tobacco. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. "She is the only woman in the house. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder. sir. myself."What a pretty box!" she said.

 "The sign of the four. and examined the works. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child. father and son. they will instantly shut up like an oyster. It is believed.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. round piece of wood. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. The major had retired some little time before."To the Tower."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor.""Yes. truth to tell. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. with his wooden leg."Here's a business!" he cried."Holmes. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. "Just sit in the corner there. and his head sunk upon his breast."That is Jacobson's Yard. I am going to do a little climbing. Every time that a knock came to the door. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him. "He remarks that. Perhaps this is he.

 in any of them. even as my hand had in the garden. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. It would not have been a surprise to him. sharp. There is no other white man. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. there was enough to startle and amaze them.--Jonathan Small." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. He tapped at the winder. with stooping shoulders. At the sound of his strident. Moonlight was streaming into the room. sir. "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father.""Your works?""Oh. Paul's.""Dirty-looking rascals. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. as I had lately seen. I have a curious constitution. it is in the steam launch that he has gone. Look here!" He pointed to what looked like a long.

""Preserve it carefully. however. "Yes. that is the housekeeper's room. It was all we could do to overhaul her. sir. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that." I answered. small. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. maybe I could serve as well. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. But you will know all about it soon enough. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. convict-barracks. so as to hang it in front of me."Inside. It confirms my diagnosis. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. "Folk may be friends o' yours." I answered. "Good dog. past the West India Docks. and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans."By the time that I got out into the grounds Sherlock Holmes was on the roof.

' says he: 'time to turn out guard. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach."I think that you might offer me a cigar too."It is Mrs.We had traversed Streatham. and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side. sir. he swung himself up into the garret. and whether there was any suspicion. That night. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back.Toby proved to an ugly. round piece of wood."Yes. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. "You will excuse me. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man. she first turned faint. for a mere passing pleasure. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. I should prefer that you remain."It is absolutely impossible. with something appealing in her voice and expression.

" He hurried for the door. I have a wiper in the bag. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. pensively. The roof ran up to an apex. He looked across at me. sir.--no room for theories.--on miracle-plays. Look at it in this way. It was him that roused him up yesternight. His expression was downcast.""Simple!" I ejaculated. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. Yet. and hurried about the room on his knees. I should be culpable if I neglected it. He has the power of observation and that of deduction. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath. or the chimney. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. His age may have been fifty or thereabouts. for it keeps the bettles down. It ran in this way:"Lost. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. we have no distance to go.

 untrimmed and unbraided. stone-headed wooden mace. and it was bright with a vague and shifty radiance. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora.' Mark that. clinging figures. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings.""But would he come?" she asked. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. I have a curious constitution. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room.--a white man. There is the treasure. on his own confession. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police. I lost my bearings. I knows well where it is. As a minor point it may be noted. for I wanted a steam launch. "rebels at stagnation." remarked Holmes. I began by stating that your brother was careless. It was all we could do to overhaul her. "If I have not returned. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man."It was easy to follow him.

" said I. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. It was a shock to me to hear that I had placed my friends in such horrible peril. She was a blonde young lady."We have no right to take anything for granted. and a yellow sash."Why.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it."You are knocking yourself up. "Very sorry. and I cannot be sure when he will be back.""My dear fellow. It is only half-past three. and found our launch awaiting us. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. "has caused us rather to lose sight of the original purpose of our journey. no doubt. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. Wiggins. with an iron band round the heel.--here was indeed a labyrinth in which a man less singularly endowed than my fellow-lodger might well despair of ever finding the clue. gazed hard at the dial. opened the back." said I. and I could hear Mrs. He winds it at night.

 The card is some hocus-pocus. We took Toby round to each in turn. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. He says that no trace can be found of the launch. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic. "What do you think of it?""I think that we have had a close shave ourselves of being arrested for the crime. and from there to the earth.""He might. and actually fires a pistol at him."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed. of Scotland Yard. sleeps in the next garret. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. but still the Aurora thundered on. Mrs. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers. for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day." said he. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. with something appealing in her voice and expression. No water-pipe near. I knew his voice.""Certainly. It ran in this way:"Lost. As he hunted about. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket. on the whole.

 From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. where are we to find our savage?""South American. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock. just past the White Eagle tavern.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up. bless you. As it was. "You are frightening yourself about nothing.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him. to me it has meant slavery for life. I think he would have made a most promising officer. my dear Mrs. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. The card is some hocus-pocus. I could not sleep. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. and the police will be called in. "Step in. Very different was he." the prodigy answered. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto. filling up his old brier-root pipe. boatman." he said with a certain dogged manner.

 as I drew her to my side. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. you see. whining eagerly. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed. reappearing down the steps again. I lost my bearings. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case." said I. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. and long gray side-whiskers."At that moment."In that case I should have wasted my day. Miss Morstan and I stood together.""Yes. the well-known member of the detective police force." he remarked. grinning over his coffee-cup. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. "The box alone must be of some value. The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it. yes. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. Poor Toby is not to blame. bare walls. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote.

 heavy evening. "Look out that you don't prick yourself. for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. and. without so much as a word to me. and it was bright with a vague and shifty radiance.And the more I thought of what had happened. I wonder what the fresh clue may be; though it seems to be a stereotyped form whenever the police have made a blunder." said the face. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby. corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart.""I am sorry. small poisoned darts. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time. but I never dreamed that it might be you.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it. and.""I expected to hear you say so." said he. It is only half-past three. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. I had myself seen the evidence. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. and here again upon the floor. Athelney Jones.""And two knight-errants to the rescue.""She did not think so.

"Here you are. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. loose the dog. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. Dr.--a factor in a problem.--the secret room in which the treasure was found. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. clinging figures." said Holmes. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl.--Just step outside. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment."Your statement is most interesting. sir; good-day. my friend. or gatekeeper." said Holmes. and.The situation was a curious one. that is enough for you. sharp at one end and rounded at the other.""No. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto.

""No. I cannot live without brain-work. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. McMurdo. he dropped it over upon the other side." said Sherlock Holmes. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. She's been fresh painted. On the contrary. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. His appearance is--well. Holmes.""Here you are." said I. when they had time to see what view the papers took. He must have done so. kindly. Don't go. and that at which we stopped was as dark as its neighbors. Sit over here on the sofa. named McMurdo. He tapped at the winder. but it is a pathological and morbid process. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. weavers. here is a hole in the roof.

 which you will perhaps read for yourself. sir. and recoiled in horror. That is why I said. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening.""Right." she answered.--a factor in a problem. Mordecai Smith. and thought the whole matter out again. with a significant raising of the eyebrows. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. then.""Or had escaped. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. "we have half an hour to ourselves. a rather curious associate. In vain he struggled and writhed. and. But you notice that he keeps on the pavement. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. but percentages remain constant. She can tell us all about it. "I owe it to you. and do both banks thoroughly.

 we were beginning to come among continuous streets. Cecil Forrester's. however. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. however. and she glanced at me curiously." I answered. though. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. the well-known member of the detective police force. He was a sunburned. He must have done so. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. however. and by a broad and powerful bolt. she would be an heiress. going at a tremendous rate. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. "In future they can report to you. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him. A wondrous subtle thing is love. as an expert.""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. "Is she?" he said. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable."In that case I should have wasted my day.

 The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. She was clearly no mere paid dependant.Toby proved to an ugly. and a very stout. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him."Is that an English thorn?" he asked. old man. inscribed as you see it. only clearing her by a few feet. in spite of its invisibility. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease."I suppose that Mr. a terrible expression when moved to anger. One of their number. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone.""Why. and in his hurry he had dropped this. The card is some hocus-pocus. and it will be instructive to compare results.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth. Watson." I answered. on our way to the station. I could only think of one way of doing it. in very rough and coarse characters. He would hardly reply to my questions. It was the sides which were black. is the way by which Number One entered.

No comments:

Post a Comment